Friday 9 November 2007

SVN and iWork files

This post should be relevant for anyone who uses SVN to back up their Mac. I've been getting very frustrated recently with backing up my iWork files - specifically, research posters made with Apple's Pages application. The problem is that Pages deletes some important SVN files every time you save your document.

Luckily, a fellow PhD student from Germany had the same problem and has made a solution. I've tried it out on my MacBook, and it seems to work very well.

1 comment:

Katja said...

Backups. Interesting topic. I'm curious to learn more about your strategy. What files do you back up? How often?

Also, everyone else - what backup strategies do you use?

I try to have everything important, like papers and code that I'm working on, on svn (or cvs). For these things I commit changes daily, at the very least.

For general stuff, like photos, I use an external harddrive and rsync. The problem is that I keep forgetting about it.